Sunday, August 10, 2008

Kind of Like a Restaurant Review and Kind of Not....

So I was in a mood last night.
I wanted to go surfing, but I also didn't want to.
I was grumpy. Todd went surfing with the two french girls.
I just didn't know what to do with myself.

So I did what I always do when I'm in Tofino and alone and in a weird place.
I went for some sushi at Tough City Sushi Bar, just down the street from my place. I brought a book with me like I always do, and sat at the bar, second from last seat, like I always do. I feel very comfortable there, the wait staff are always so nice to me, and I'm a sucker for delicious sushi. And of course, the man who owns it, I can honestly say-he is probably the most charming man in all of Tofino. Tourists go to the restaurant just to catch a glimpse of the quick talking, profane "Crazy Ron".

He's always been really great whenever I visited the sushi bar. While Jenner was down, a large group of us went for sushi and of course were regaled with potty mouthed recollections of horrible customers and how they were told off, He knew exactly what we wanted to hear.

Last night Ron turned my frown upside-down. He came up to me just before I got my meal, asked me my name and where I worked. He shook my hand and told me that he thinks I'm a "real cool chick" and he's heard from the wait staff that I was "a pleasure to serve", among other very humbling things. Later on through my dinner, other employees came up just to chat, about other customers they were serving or about tattoos (I don't hate this as much anymore). Later Ron and his wife and I chatted about the time they visited Nova Scotia and saw a sasquatch.

We all have those times when we feel a little bit smaller than we usually do, for no rhyme nor reason and I'm very thankful for the completely unaware little angels like Ron who know exactly when to say the perfect thing.

These guys will be getting a batch of cupcakes before I leave.


No comments: