Friday, July 25, 2008

What a Perfect Day Off from Work Consists of:

Visitors-Jill Boyce
Meeting new people-Angie
Get-togethers galore
An entire day at the beach with the sun shining brightly and warmly (A rarity here in Tofino)
Hot Dogs, marshmallows, mangoes, corn, ketchup and mustard
My very own personal surf instructor (Todd)

Put it all together and you get a great day to try surfing for the first time for a very wary and unsure customer (even though I wasn't buying anything).

Now let me just tell it to you straight. I went into that skin tight wetsuit thinking "I'll put this on and get in that water just this once. I'll show them that I'm not a pussy, and everyone can stop bugging me about this". I was basically trying surfing just to prove something. I've been doing this a lot lately. Not even just lately. All the time. And for a long time I've been doing it. I need to learn to let go of a lot of things. I need to learn to get over myself. I think the fact that I'm saying this and typing it means I am well on my way.

So, even with thinking all of these negative things about trying surfing, I am sitting here the next day at work, aching bones (REALLY ACCCCHHHHING), and I just wish I was out surfing again. And believe it or not, I wasn't too bad, I don't think. I got up on my board several times, but alas, the feeling was so amazing, I just started laughing hysterically. I laughed so hard and so fully that I teetered and fell right off that board. It's hard to have a hearty laugh AND balance on rushing water at the same time.

It was so great, being out in the water with a great group of people. We were all varying degrees of surf ability and we all egged each other on. We yelled when to start paddling your brains out, yelled at each other when we were about to bowl each other over. It was the greatest sense of teamwork and comradity that I have experienced since, well, since I was in a bowling league tournament. It's been awhile.

Now, for some unrelated pictures form the redneck themed party, stolen from my roommates girlfriend, Rebecca.
Please see July 8th post for a little bit of a foreword.

Photobucket
Out on Kennedy Lake, following the craziest, longest, most hugely potholed road.

Photobucket
Todd's boss, Paul

Photobucket

Photobucket
"Now just let my stick this in your tushie..."

Photobucket

Doesn't exactly look like the safest thing, now does it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i saw those pics i went back to the july 8th entry, and read out loud the drinking game thing, to zane. he said "that is the most REDICIULOUS thing ive ever heard of." hahahaa

i cant believe you are a surfer! way to go girl, i dont think i could ever do it. im proud and jealous all at the same time.
you are becoming my hero.

cant wait to see you all the time!!!!

black ribbons said...

Wow, I'd love to try surfing again. I went to a few lessons 2 or 3 years ago. I couldn't stand up every time, but I managed to do it a couple. It'd be a great feeling of accomplishment if I could do it. I'd like to learn how to skate(board) too. I need to let go in respect of not worrying if I'm going to fall off as it's going too fast for my mind to accept.

Love the photos. What is that last photo of anyway?

Unknown said...

That last photo is a bum on fire.....(!!!)

And that's the great thing about surfing (and maybe all boarding, I wouldn't really know)...it's just going so fast, you can't think about anything else, you're only thinking about that wave and catching it.

robinacraftmoney said...

SURFS UP BEBE GIRL